Homelessness can touch all demographics from all walks of life. Among these vulnerable populations, alarmingly, are our very own military veterans who have bravely answered our country’s call for service.
What follows are revealing statistics about veteran homelessness and discussion of how CASA’s veteran housing efforts are working to make an impact on homelessness in Durham, NC, and beyond.
Homelessness Among Veterans
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) estimates that more than 40,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. And twice that number experience homelessness at some point over the course of a year.
Veterans make up just 7% of the general population, but account for 13% of the homeless population. One in five homeless males are veterans. Other important findings about veteran homeless include:
- 51% of homeless veterans have a disability
- 50% have a serious mental illness
- 70% have substance abuse problems
- 50% of homeless veterans are age 51 or older, compared to just 19% of non-veterans
The Impact of Veteran Housing
Our veterans have sacrificed for us, and now we’re in a position to give back. CASA’s affordable veteran housing currently provides roofs over the heads of more than 100 veterans in the Triangle area, and we continue striving every day to shelter more members of our vulnerable populations.
CASA provides several housing units dedicated solely to veterans, along with veteran apartment options. We also provide individualized property management to better meet the needs of veterans living with a disability.
Our veteran housing is kept affordable through low rent prices. We also partner with the Veterans Administration (VA) and accept housing vouchers through the HUD-VASH program.
Read our 2021 annual report to see the impact providing affordable housing has had on both veterans and non-veterans alike.
How You Can Support a Veteran
There are a number of ways you can help alleviate veteran homelessness in Durham, NC, and its surrounding areas.
- Financial donations made online, by mail, or via a stock transfer: CASA, Tax ID: 56-1778714 | Account Number: WA8-070698 | DTC #: 0226. | Receiving Brokerage Firm: BB&T now Truist
- Become a CASA champion by donating monthly which provides steady and stable funding for veteran housing.
- Hosting a fundraiser to support veteran housing is a great way to raise funds while providing a space for people to have fun.
- Shop with AmazonSmile, which donates 0.5% of your purchase price to CASA at no additional charge to you.
- Volunteer with us to support veterans experiencing homelessness throughout your community.
Connect with CASA today to take the first step in helping end homelessness in the Triangle.